I got Evangelized at last Saturday. I was surrounded on the street and made the mistake of not recognizing the plan sooner and trying to be respectful. When one ran out of steam, another took his place holding a microphone in front of my face like there was a listening audience somewhere. It was exactly like getting mugged by a gang of crazies trying to convince (anybody) that Jesus is the only path to salvation.
I told them Jesus is a good idea but there's no contemporary reference to his existence before 100AD so everything known about him is unprovable and essentially fantasy, and (some) people have been known to claim authority based on fantasy by getting their target to admit to some part of the story as if it were all true. (Trump does it all the time)
One asked "Do you know what Alexander the Great said about Jesus?". Since I was surrounded and they were already struggling with intellectual disconnect, I wasn't going to push them over the edge, because maybe time traveling aliens were involved. So I tactfullly said "I don't know about that". Which could be interpreted to mean that I don't know what Alexander said. I'm sure Jesus would have approved because I didn't lie. It would have been impolite to tell them that Alexander died around 300 BC.
They could have recognized my courtesy, or checked whether their question lacked substance. Instead my reply was interpreted as timidity, I think because that's what they were looking for. So it emboldened one to challenge me to look squarely into her eyes and reflect on my life of sinful ignorance. I said "OK I'm done with this" and pushed through them. I looked back to see if they were following, but they were looking around in bewildered innocence under the radience of heaven "What did we do? Are we valid now? Did we win?" and congratulating each others mutual suffering in ways non-believers will never understand.
10 Historical Facts That Might Make Jesus story Impossible (youtube) So remember: Fake news is traditional!
I don't know how to talk to that attitude. They're obnoxious but still need help because obviously some church is exploiting them. I've been told the best thing to do is just close the door or walk away but that's not a real solution. If anybody has ideas please comment.

No comments:
Post a Comment